Sunday, May 6, 2012

Congrats grad!

As difficult as it is for me to believe, my baby sister is going to be a proud graduate of Michigan State University this May.  I'm very proud of her, which is hard for me to say as a University of Michigan alum myself.  ;)

I wanted to make her a congratulations card, so I decided to challenge myself and pull out my Wild Cards cartridge.  I think it would have been really easy for me to make a card with 3 Birds on Parade using my usual A2 size template, but I want to get use out of this Wild Card cartridge.  It's full of great things!

I started by cutting the envelope- sorry, no pictures- at Fit to Page on my Expression.  It came out at 7 1/2 inches.  I used my bone folder to put it together and it was done!  I decided to cut my card just slightly smaller, at 7 1/4, to make sure there was no problem fitting in the envelope.  I cut the card in green, as it's the color I imagine that her cap will be.  I cut the tassel in white, after some detective work on the internet to find out what color tassel her school uses.  It's hard to see on the picture, but I made a little circle out of green stickles where the tassel connects to the hat.  It's not perfect, and I may go around it with a gel pen or something before the day comes.  I wish I had some brads- never fear, they're on my wish list!  I used my home-made green bakers twine to dress up the tassel a little.



Here's the inside of the card.  I used the "Class of" phrase that's on the same button as the graduation cap.  Then I cut the "2012" from the alphabet.  Word to the wise: If you're cutting a phrase, keep the size at the same as the card (here, 7 1/4) to get it to fit.  However, if you switch to the alphabet, it WILL cut the numbers 7 1/4 inches tall.  I switched to 2 inches.  The numbers still didn't come out the same size because I forgot to turn on Real Dial Size button.  I kind of think it looks cute though.


CONGRATULATIONS, GRAD!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip about keeping the phrase the same size as the image. I didn't know that!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete